Thursday, May 25, 2006

I can't tell if this Swedish course is more for kicks or if it's actually helpful.
On another note, I looked up some stuff on the Swedish language on Wikipedia and found that they evidently have a sound that does not exist in other languages. The 'sj' sound is closest to "phew!" in English but is essentially like blowing out a candle. The Norrlanders have an easier time, they just pronounce it like 'sh' but sometimes I don't think it sounds as good then. I have gotten the pronunciation pretty much figured out after 9 months though.
One thing I will never get used to or use myself is the Swedish equivalent sound for "mmhmm". They inhale quickly either through the mouth or the nose and it sometimes sounds like they just stopped themselves from burping. It the most annoying thing in the world. I think someone mentioned it to me once last semester but I forgot it and it came as a surprise to me at the beginning of this semester. Originally I thought only female Swedish teachers did it since they were the only ones I ever observed doing it. One teacher at my department made that affirmative sound literally after every single sentence. I honestly thought she had a respiratory problem, but apparently she's just the Swedish Mr. Mackey.

Also, I've been here nine months and I have yet to see an actual, dedicated Swedish restaurant. At first I was just a little frustrated that I couldn't find one, but figured that it was natural to not find ethnic food restaurants in the same region that the ethnicity hails from. But it occurred to me in Poland and Lithuania that I could find plenty of ethnic restaurants there. One can find Spanish food in Spain and British food in Britain, but no Swedish food in Sweden. It's not that Swedish food sucks, for some reason, though, the Swedes just don't like it. One Swede told me that it's because when people go out to a restaurant they don't want to eat the same stuff they have at home. Theoretically true, but I know for a fact that Swedes don't eat pickled herring at home every day, they have pasta and stuff like that. He then said Swedish restaurants would mainly cater to tourists (evidently the million immigrants in Sweden aren't a big enough market) and Sweden isn't a big tourist country. Compared to England and Spain, yes definitely, but I think there are more tourists that would rather go to Stockholm than downtown Warsaw. I think the Swedes just don't like their cultural food, for whatever reason. I don't think they could have gotten tired of it; you can only get it on holidays. It does tend to be the same thing no matter what the holiday is, though.

Also, a couple new Flickr pics.

No comments: