Thursday, April 20, 2006

So yesterday was an absolutely gorgeous spring day, the best one yet and I arrived just in time for it too. I also learned in class that on the first day of spring it's tradition that someone walks around naked in a park. See in the Eastern US the first robin is the sign of spring, in Tucson it's the first vulture and in Sweden it's the first naked man.
Also, today is 4/20 which, as any American knows, is National Pot Day. This concept is completely unknown to Europeans which is unusual considering its ubiquity back home. I recall the endless snickers I got when people learned I lived in dorm room number 420. It's refreshing that the Swedes aren't all crazy for pot, though in Vilnius I did learn of a very bizarre tradition the Russians have on 4/20. I cannot confirm or deny this but this is what I hear: since today is also Hitler's birthday, the Russians, allegedly, go on a xenophobic rampage and beat up any foreigner they can find. So Americans will chill out and smoke weed today and the Russians will go out looking for a fight. If there was ever a difference between our two cultures, that would definitely be it.

No comments: