Wednesday, April 19, 2006

My view of Poland and Poles after seeing the country for about a week was that there were two types of Polishness. One is of beautiful, clean, safe cities and friendly, intelligent, beautiful people while the other is of dodgy, run down, ugly cities and stupid, vulgar, disgusting people. After I got back to Uppsala I was discussing my impression of Poland with a Pole and she said that there are in fact two Polands; what the politicians refer to as Poland A and B, which possess the exact characteristics I observed. So it was good that the locals see the same things I do and that I'm not way off base.
But back to my travels: Vilnius itself is gorgeous and the change in architecture and overall atmosphere between the Old Town and the modern district is so amazing it feels like you're in two completely different cities. I should also mention I went to a metal concert I found in town on the grounds that Eastern European metal must be some pretty intense stuff. I was half right; the fans were some of the scariest people I had ever seen; I'd say 90% of them were about 2 meters tall and all manner of angry (the concert was delayed 3 hours so that might have contributed a bit). The music was quite sub par, I can say that with some measure of objectivity since even though metal isn't really my thing most of the other fans were pretty unimpressed as well.
The hostel I stayed at had the most awesome people ever and we had so much fun whether we were touring the city, going out on the town or just playing cards when it rained. This is my wholehearted endorsement of staying in hostels when you travel. Even if you don't meet fun people, you're very likely to meet interesting ones, case in point: I met a real life Veruca Salt. The daughter of a diplomat (a self-described and ever so apt diplobrat) this girl had a large amount of personal wealth and as such only wanted to stay in five star hotels and eat at the most expensive French restaurants. It was only at the insistence of her incredibly fun friend from Brooklyn that she went to the hostel. This girl was just unbelievable, she evidently normally has an Australian accent but while on the trip adopted an ultra high class British accent and went on about how she didn't like (insert any nationality besides the British, Germans, French and Belgians here). I could go on all day about this girl, she just put everyone off and it was just astounding how alien she was.
Fortunately her friend was more than awesome enough to make up for her. She and I visited a nearby small town with a medieval castle surrounded by lakes. An absolute blast, we even got to use the archery range in the castle.
So I think that's about it, though getting home was interesting too since I think my (expired) Russian visa makes the passport control really suspicious. And we took a propeller plane from Vilnius to Arlanda. An international flight on a propeller plane. The people all saw it and started laughing. Oh, and Feifei picked me up at the airport, so that was a nice surprise.

Naturally, I have many lovely pics from my travels.

No comments: