Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Ice Age 2 with Ray Romano and John Leguizamo. Fun, cute movie though slightly darker than the original. The jury is still out on whether it was better than the original, IMO, but it was at least as good. I found the most interesting part of the movie was the different species, and just how much research the creators would have done to come up with weird creatures like that. Also helps to educate little kids on prehistoric creatures besides dinosaurs. They did change a few things though, apparently Sid would have been friggin' huge and would have kicked Diego's ass, maybe Manny's too. Anyway, I thought the nature of the scenes was pretty cool, there were a lot of them that could have been standalone animated shorts, particularly the ones with Scrat. It made for a refreshing change from really linear movies.

Mononoke Hime with YĆ“ji Matsuda and Yuriko Ishida. An older movie by the same guy that made Spirited Away. I'm not much of an anime fan to begin with, so anything more positive that total disdain might be interpreted as praise. The moral of the story is pretty plain and simple, but that's about the only thing that is. That's probably just cuz of cultural differences, or the aforementioned disinterest in anime. There was a consensus that for an alleged non-hentai movie there were a lot of tentacles. I don't feel totally unqualified to judge this film since I was not the only person who thought it was really weird. Bottom line: if you like anime, watch it, if not, it's not the best introduction to it.

I was going to write something about my fieldwork at Lundellska Skolan but I'm tired and full of delicious cake and I have a busy day tomorrow. I'm off to bed and see y'all in 11 days.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i really liked mononoke hime. especially the music.

but you know me.

Anonymous said...

the music was truly awesome. the sprouting tentacles, not so much.

Jinn said...

I totally agree with you on the anime thing - I'd say Mononoke's up there with Ghost in the Shell, Akira, and Spirited Away, where if you're going to see any anime, you might as well watch those. And yeah, the tentacles? Gross.

I think more stuff should be done with prehistoric mammals....ooo, or a Finding Nemo, but with prehistoric fish/oceanic dinosaurs/etc

Kevin said...

it was actual cake, no weird Swedish variety. I actually posted a pic of it on Flickr.