Thursday, July 28, 2005

I despise math, mainly because I'm not too good at it but also because of the mentality it represents. Admittedly, any reason I have for not liking math was probably constructed after I realized I wasn't good at it for want of a more substantial reason for avoiding it. Whatever. The cut and dry nature of it goes against how I think. The equation is either right or wrong and no amount of arguing can change it. People who love math say they find the simplicity of the right/wrong system to be comforting. I like to argue and debate, be it politics, religion or completely stupid things like whether or not England is an actual place or a state of mind. I find shades of grey more comforting than black and white and the idea that there can be more than one right answer.
I eventually learned to do just as much math as needed to get by and leave the black and white thinking to the mathematicians, but it always bugged me that when it came to physics and all the cool science stuff, it all came back to math and that right/wrong doctrine. Following up on that periodic table article I posted recently, they've discovered that atoms of the same element can be grouped together and exhibit properties of elements nowhere near them on the periodic table. So that means there's more than one way to make elements behave. Way to beat the system! I feel vindicated at last.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A little more personal. Now tell about all of your deep dark secrets & childhood fears.

We're listening.