Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Randall can kiss my ass.

Transformers with Shia Labeouf and Peter Cullen. The naysayers will say nay and forever hate upon Micheal Bay for sins of the past, but I liked this film a lot. The action was definitely not lacking in any form, the balance between human screen time and robot screen time was struck rather well. The only major flaw I can see is the lack of character development of the Transformers, especially the Decepticons. Now granted, Megatron has never been the most subtle and complex character, but a deeper look at his personality would have helped quite a bit. The plot was not as shabby and hard to follow as some people think (I am referring to Slate who guffawed at how unnecessarily obvious the expositions were and then complained about how they didn't know what was going on) but it is entirely independent of previous Transformers franchises so you don't have to be a fanboy to get what's going on. There were several things I did not expect which happened in the movie, namely the human body count, which as Keith pointed out was simply unheard of in previous Transformer incarnations. I was pleasantly surprised by how not helpless the humans were in the movie. Seeing A-10's and F-22's duking it out with Decepticons was pretty sweet, I gotta say. Yes, there were some cheesy lines thrown in that were very blatant nods to G1, but if they weren't there you'd secretly wish they were. It is a summer blockbuster movie and as such you can't expect a deep and profound plot or a mind warping psychological thriller. It's a very well done movie for what it is and I'm definitely excited about the eventual sequels.

1 comment:

Jinn said...

I have to say, your point about it including the theme of regular ol' humans as not-helpless, and actually essential and effective, is a very good one - I can't believe I missed one of my favorite themes!