Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Sweden is still with me. I still occasionally read words on signs and pronounce them in my head the Swedish way. Or translate English words or names that have the same spelling as Swedish words; like Eller college, BARA or Hummer (it's the Swedish word for lobster). And now that I no longer have anyone foreign to act as a foil, the US seems really weird all of a sudden. I went to the grocery store and by the jelly section was at first delighted to see an orange colored jelly and immediately thought "hjortron sylt!" (I didn't even think "cloudberry jam") but was disappointed to find out it was just peach. Amazingly, I wanted to buy some cloudberry jam even though I hardly ever ate the stuff myself. I recommend you try some if you are ever in the position to do so. It's unique. a very blunt, sweet taste that at first reminded me of apricots but now seems like quince. As a jam, I found cloudberries didn't really go well with many things. As a cider though, mm-mmm!
Oh, hjortron cider reminds me of good ol' Swedish Midsummer.

Some pretty cool music videos (via Stephanie)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did your parents have a chance to try the hjortronsylt yet?
I'm glad Sweden is still with you.. it makes me smile.

Kevin said...

yeah, they tried it. They said the seeds reminded them of caviar. I dunno what they're talking about.
And I'm still think in Swedish from time to time. Mostly phrases like "om du vill" or "FAN!"