Monday, June 19, 2006

Out of Uppsala now, I’ll be slumming in hotels and other people’s houses for the next few blog entries.
It occurred to me the other day that the music in clubs is sometimes just downright bizarre. Specifically, I wondered at point musicians became so vain that they could sing entire songs about their own ass. My Humps and Bootylicious come to mind. Then again, it might be self-deprecating, after all who would refer to their ass as lumpy or jelly-like?
Also, My Humps is insidious; I heard it for the first time in Malmö and then it was everywhere. I even was woken up by it at 3am in a cabin in Kiruna. At first, when I heard it and remembered I was in a cabin above the Arctic Circle, kilometers away from civilization, I was really not sure if I was awake or not.
Anyway, why are songs about butts OK but you’d never be able to get a song about breasts on the radio? What’s so bad about them that aren’t bad about butts?

A final note on European music: people complain about radio everywhere but after listening to the Swedish radio the US has nothing to complain about. It's all techno, bad R&B and schlager (the genre of music that traditionally dominates Eurovision). Say what you will about KFMA or the Point, at least they're better than the stations here.

No comments: