Sunday, January 29, 2006

I, Robot with Will Smith and Bridget Moynahan. A fairly entertaining movie, though not necessarily a powerful or award winning one. I was already familiar with Isaac Asimov's story so the plot twists weren't as effective as perhaps they should have been. I did find it odd that the main character is obsessed with vintage items and is supposed to come across as cool. I dunno, maybe since retro is more cool now it will be even more so in the future. Or maybe someone wearing shoes from 2005 will be cooler in 2035 than someone wearing shoes from 1975 would be today. Avoiding the obvious analysis of how 2035 will probably look nothing like how it's portrayed in the movie, I have to wonder about those robots. The obsolete models were pretty cool looking, the new ones were just plain creepy, what kind of product design idea is that? And it would have been nice to see how the military made use of robot technology; if the civilian models can be powerful killing machines what would an actual killing robot be like?

Aeon Flux with Charlize Theron and Marton Csokas. I suspected that the confusion I felt while watching this movie stemmed from the fact that I knew nothing about the animated series that it was based upon. But after a quick investigation I learned that in the series the main character dies in half the episodes so there probably isn't anything I would have learned from it that would have shed light on the movie. I guess it's a pretty good film, all things considered. They weren't pretentious enough to think that the plot was substantial enough to make it a long movie. They went in, told the story and ended it with not much fluff or filler to bog it down. There were a lot of futuristic items and weapons that were just...weird. It's almost refreshing to see sci-fi movies that don't even care whether the technology they depict is possible or not. One thing I have to point out, though, why is it that in dystopian societies the police are always outfitted with armor that appears to made of glass? Come to think of it, if they had stayed true to the animated series and had Flux die at the end it would have made the movie that much better. The sheer novelty of the main character dying in an action movie would have made it much more note worthy, but I guess there are some things Hollywood movies just can't do. Oh, and Charlize Theron looks infinitely better than the drawn version of Aeon Flux.

2 comments:

Jinn said...

So do you think Aeon Flux is worth renting, then? Did they actually use any of the capoeira training I read she did?

That's a good point about the shoes in I, Robot; my brother and I wondered the same about military robots, I remember, especially as Sonny was doing armbars and whatnot there at the end...

Kevin said...

It's a nice rentable movie, I'd say. I've kind of had my fill of dystopian sci-fi's for awhile though.
And I guess her movements were pretty capoeira-esque, it's definitely more high-end than the stuff they ever let me learn.
I'm planning to watch some of the Aeon Flux animated series, maybe see why it's such a cult classic.