Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Swedish has some uncanny similarities to Spanish when you look at the words. All Spanish verbs end with 'ar', 'er' or 'ir'. Most Swedish verbs end with 'ar', 'er' or 'ir' as well, and the ones that don't still follow the vowel-r pattern. The present participle (aka the -ing form) in Spanish is "ando" or "iendo"in Swedish it's "ande" or "ende". Those are the only striking grammatical similarities I can think of at the moment, but I find that if you take some Swedish words "roligaste" for example, without any context, it looks like Spanish.
This makes me wonder if the similarities are analogous or homologous, after all Swedish is Germanic while Spanish is Romantic, but both Germanic and Latin originated from the same Indo-European precursor language. Suppose both civilizations just kept some vestiges of the original language? Or are they just coincidences?

So the other day I'm out at one of the nations dressed to impress. New shirt, new pants, cologne, the works. I'm having a good time, and as I'm standing by the bar about to order a drink I notice a cute girl walk up a few feet to my left. She looks at me, then slides up to my side and whispers in my ear...

"You have chewing gum on your butt."

Sure enough there was a nice bright white piece of gum smashed into my new black pants. I had considered leaving before then, but quickly departed after that, hands behind my back discreetly trying to cover my ass. Considering how long it had been since I sat down it must have been there for a good hour or so. At least she was nice enough to point it out...


Fun Swedish words: arg-angry
sicksackmönster-zigzag pattern

2 comments:

Kevin said...

haha. I brought my Armani Mania to Sweden with me. But with so many layers of clothing it's normally not worth putting on. Though there is a cologne that is apparantly quite good, Hugo Boss I think is the brand.

Kevin said...

I recall Beowulf but we never read Canterbury Tales, my English teacher was crap.
We read this article on Swedish for Swedish class and it showed how Germanic branched off into all these different languages but were still related. They had the same simple sentence written in Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Dutch, German, English and Viking Swedish. The similarities were evident but without the direct comparison I wouldn't have been able to guess what it said in the other languages. The Viking Swedish had about as much in common with modern Swedish as it does with modern English.