Thursday, November 24, 2005

So yesterday was Thanksgiving, and what a magical thing it was. My nation cancelled the Thanksgiving dinner and no one, American or otherwise, seemed to really give a damn so I took it upon myself to save it. At first it was going to be me and a Swedish friend of mine cooking the meal together. He had to buy a lot of stuff before he got to my place so the majority of the cooking was done by me alone. Now, cooking is supposed to involve experimentations and testing and all that good stuff, and the dinner turned out great in the end, but I still don't think an ambassadorial Thanksgiving is the best time for a trial by fire. No Americans were there except me and none of them had ever had a Thanksgiving before so I could have gotten away with a lot. None of them had ever seen a turkey and our assistant cook (who shall be known as the Swedish Chef) was making the cranberry sauce but had no idea how cranberries were supposed to taste. Again, it turned out fantastic, as did his pecan pie (which he also had no idea of how it was supposed to taste).
The concept of Thanksgiving seemed a little alien to them. Not surprising, considering that at the gasques they serve food in small quantities over a long period of time (the local solution to this is to eat an entire pizza before going to dinner). The abundance of food, the fact that you cannot eat it all, is what the holiday is all about. I also mentioned the side effect of turkey is sleepiness; they laughed at me and said if they got tired it would simply be from the wine or eating so much. Needless to say, hours later my guests were lethargically collapsed at the table, reminiscent of a Dali painting. This was indisputable proof that it was a good Thanksgiving!

and the best Thanksgiving quote: "Have fun decomposing!"

4 comments:

Feifei said...

the Swedish Chef, love it. Thank you for the best Thanksgiving I've ever had!

Kevin said...

I corrected my punctuation on this post per suggestion. Considering the majority of my regular readers are English majors I'm surprised that doesn't happen more often. In my defense, though, I was really tired when I wrote it.

Jinn said...

did it take any doing to find a turkey over there?

Kevin said...

not really, for some reason they were selling them at the local grocery stores. Same thing with cranberries. My guess is that they were catering specifically to the American student population here. Which is kinda funny cuz there are plenty of Canadians here too but they didn't have any turkeys in October.