Friday, August 26, 2005

I’m up at 3am writing this because my bed isn’t very comfortable, since it’s just a mattress, I don’t even have a pillow. The place to buy the stuff is way the hell on the other side of town; so far away it’s not even on the map. I think they said a 20-minute bus ride to get there. They said that it’s a 30-minute bus ride from Stockholm to Uppsala so when I say it’s way the hell out there I mean it. No luggage either. So that’s gonna be 4 consecutive days with the same clothes. I wish I had a spare set of clothes but all the room went to stuff I didn’t want to part with, like books and CDs and such and the stuff that would explode in an unpressurized cabin, like shampoo and hair gel. Nonetheless I am enjoying Uppsala, the people are friendly, and hot. They all speak English, which is good since I don’t know how to say all the stuff I need to in Swedish. I can order food, talk about myself and ask directions and that’s about it. I like to practice whenever I do that but everyone ends up speaking English to me, which is then frustrating. I am really hungry, at night everything is closed. Back in Tucson and especially at the U of A you could always find some place that was open. Damn. I passed through a store today and found a bunch of weird stuff, the kind of things only a European can eat. Figs in cognac for example. There are a bunch of sodas that have the weirdest names ever, like the Marx Brothers’ estranged siblings. Oh, and they have peanut butter and root beer here. I bought the root beer and I gotta say if that’s all they have then it’s no wonder they don’t drink the stuff. It tasted like root beer in much the same way that a lemon starburst tastes like a lemon. Another thing, I’m typing this now, but since I won’t get internet at my dorm until next week you might not be reading this anytime soon. If I’m very silent online now you know why.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

It was Skippy. They had the natural kind but I didn't buy any since I brought a jar with me.