Saturday, September 15, 2007

Babble

Babel with Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett and assorted foreigners. An alternate title for this film is "Stupid People Doing Stupid Things", I get the message (I think) the director was trying to give. In our globalized world the deeds of people thousands of miles away have drastic effects on the world we know. It's a message I can approve of but something about the film just didn't stick right with me. Maybe it was the fact that virtually all viewers needed subtitles since the likelihood of someone being fluent in English, Spanish, Japanese and Moroccan are slim. It smacked of the pretentiousness of a director who thought making a film almost exclusively in foreign languages would make him (and the film) seem worldly and intelligent. Also, one can't help but notice the odd unintended moral of the story: the carelessness of Mexicans, Arabs and Asians end up in the near death of beautiful and innocent white Americans.

In other news, I went to a career presentation at the U of A for the Foreign Service. I went in with an open mind but didn't think the program would ultimately appeal to me. But after the presentation I'm giving it some serious consideration. It's a hell of a lot more exciting (and lucrative) than the Peace Corps, which I had also considered joining, and as a diplomat I'd get better accommodations than a thatch hut on an anthill. They mentioned something to the effect of four years of service would finance grad school and pay off student loans. I'd learn languages of the countries I'd be sent to and interact with cultures on diplomatic missions. If I hypothetically made a career of it I could retire at 50. The only problems I see with this is a lack of autonomy; I go where they need me to be and I stay there from anywhere to weeks or years. Which means sure I could get a request to be stationed in Sweden approved then 6 weeks later, "Oops, we need you in Gambia." Also, they said one of the jobs is to explain US foreign policy. Now does that mean I have to advocate Imperialism or just merely diplomatically explain it to the locals while mentioning I personally disagree? There are some places you're not allowed to take children, or even one's wife. That, combined with moving every few months or years to foreign lands might get lonely after awhile. I never got a chance to ask about that part. The diplomacy and traveling bit sounds pretty sweet, and quite compatible with my goals of being an anthropologist. The hang up, as I gather is true in all jobs, is choosing higher pay or higher autonomy. Also, I wonder if doing one for a few years and then doing the other later would impact my chances of getting either job? Would the universities want to sponsor a former government pawn, or would the US government consider someone with potentially years worth of international contacts too great a security risk? Hmmm, things to consider....

3 comments:

Jinn said...

you should watch Code 46.

Anonymous said...

Funny, I was just talking to Bick a few weeks back about joining the FS myself ...great minds and all.

The FS is a lot like the military in that yes, you do have professional restrictions on what you can say and what you can't say. That means your public opinions and private opinions may not always (or often) match). However, remember that part of what they're paying you for is to like, be all diplomatic and shit. You have to keep to the party line, but you do it in a way that will promote US interests. Sort of like a defense lawyer who is duty-bound to give his best effort even if he thinks the defendant is guilty as sin.

It's my understanding that the diplomacy track is the most sought-after and most difficult to get into. Not that you can't do it, but you may want to consider one of the other tracks as well, particularly if you're looking for career mobility. And based on what other people have told me, the other tracks also tend to get moved around a bit less than the diplomats.

Also, just as an FYI, the Peace Corps is widely considered a feeder program for the FS. It's not a requirement by any means, but it is a great way to show that you have the mad diplomatic and language skillz that the FS is looking for.

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog and i really appreciate the excellent quality content you are posting here for free for your online readers. thanks peace sandro