Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Super?

Superbad with Jonah Hill and Michael Cera. I'm not sure what to say about this one. I liked The 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up a lot but this movie didn't quite do it for me. The first third of it was awesome and I liked the last part of it too but for some reason the big middle section sort of fell flat. I could tell it was trying to be funny but it came across as the kind of funny reserved exclusively for telling not-funny-at-the-time situations. Which is exactly the kind of situation they were in, but again, as you're watching it it's not funny at the time. Nearly everyone else I spoke to liked it a lot, so maybe it was just lost on me. Since I was never one to go out and party in high school all of the "oh, man that is so true!" moments were lost on me.
SPOILERS AHEAD
The previous two movies made by the same guys were funny and definitely had a moral to the story. This had a message (the crazy high school life really isn't/wasn't what it was cracked up to be) but it seemed to emphasize that at the expense of the comedy that the film is billed as.
One thing I must laud the producers on is their focus on reversed roles in their movies. In the 40 Year Old Virgin it's the man that is sweet and innocent and the women who are making purely sexual advances on him. In Knocked Up it's emphasized that the female role is partially responsible for her accidental pregnancy as opposed to it being exclusively the dumb, horny man's fault. In Superbad, the sweet girl the main character has a crush on turns out to be the aggressive one; the hot, popular girl hosting the party turns out to not drink and isn't interested in popular, hot jocks. Even among the male characters the traditional roles are discarded. The fat kid isn't the meek sidekick but the confident and vulgar leader of the group and the nerdy kid is actually the most resourceful and street smart among them.

No comments: