Friday, November 24, 2006

Ah, another Thanksgiving has come and gone. I have to say there’s no such thing as a bad Thanksgiving in my book. A holiday about eating lots and lots of good food with people you care about. There’s not much to commercialize or corrupt when you get right down to it. I never trust people who say they don’t like Thanksgiving. If you don’t like your family you can always have dinner with a friend’s family, or a group of friends—anyone that you enjoy being with. And if eating a big dinner with your friends is still not your thing, well, you’re an alien.
I was going to have the Swedes over so they could experience this uniquely American holiday (yes, I know Canadians have Thanksgiving too, they just stole it from us) but they decided to go to Mexico over the holiday break. Jävle svenskar… Anyway, it turned out for the best that they weren’t able to show since our kitchen was in a state of (dis)repair, making cooking a challenge. Thankfully, we live in Arizona where you can have Thanksgiving outside and not be cold at all. Plus, I was reacquainted with all of my family’s traditional dishes that I missed out on last year. Even if you have the recipies, you just can’t beat mom’s cooking. And like all Thanksgivings, it ended in a lovely turkey nap. It’s a shame this concept is unknown to foreigners because it is quite possibly the best feeling nap in the world.

2 comments:

Feifei said...

I just remembered last Thanksgiving, thanks again for a great time. This year, I went to a North Korean restaurant with my Chinese class. Not quite the same thing.

Kevin said...

I was going to say that's about the most unAmerican thing I've heard, but then again I once spent the 4th of July in Russia. I suppose going to a North Korean restaurant is downright patriotic over there. Nice and revolutionary. But seriously, that's awesome.
Do they even acknowledge the existence of Western holidays in China or are they just not there at all? Like I know Sweden at least kind of acknowledges Halloween and Thanksgiving even though they don't celebrate them.
Is North Korean food any different from South Korean food? Do they have bulgogi? Salted with tears of the oppressed, perhaps?