Sunday, December 18, 2005

OK, I'm going to largely be out of town for the next few weeks exploring Sweden. Here's the game plan: tomorrow I take the bus to Göteborg, the second largest city in Sweden, see what there is to see and come back for Christmas (which is the 24th, cuz the Swedes don't know what day Christmas is supposed to be) and have a Swedish Christmas with the other exchange students at one of the nations. Then I go south to Malmö and Lund. I hope to see the twisting torso building and Günther's nightclub and Lund University, Uppsala's rival. If I get bored I might go to Copenhagen. Then I come back to Uppsala for New Year's. A one day trip to Stockholm after that and on January 3rd I'll fly to Kiruna, way the hell up north in the land Sweden forgot. I'll be up there until the 11th, hopefully I'll see the northern lights. I want to see what 24 hour darkness looks like but supposedly there's still a half hour of sun. Damn. Anyway, if you can't get in touch with me, that's probably why.

And before I go, another weirdness about Sweden: We were planning another movie night and the thing that people were all hung up on was the food. They were reluctant to have a movie night because they didn't want to cook something big. So the suggestion was that they just cook a 1 course dinner and then make a dessert. Incredulous, I suggested we just get a pizza instead of doing all that work. They looked at each other and said, "Hey, that's not a bad idea." The fact that they didn't even consider that baffles me. I suspect the Swedes don't like movie nights as much as Americans.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, no fair--I was just about to make a crack about what kind of pizza it was...oh, well.

So...what was it?

Anonymous said...

When you're traveling, see if you can see the Siljan crater. I'm not sure exactly where it is in Sweden (61°2'N, 14°52'E, if that helps. Use your compass.), but it's quite well-known among the meteoritics crowd and is supposed to be pretty cool, science-wise. It would also give me a great "in."

Kevin said...

we had several pizzas, there were 5 people. I had this pineapple banana curry one, my friends got kebab pizzas, though one didnt order one but got it anyway. The guy just said "oh well here we always put extra toppings on"
As for the crater, I will be flying over it but since it's 350 million years old I won't see much.